The incredible, against-all-odds story of sailor Tracy Edwards, who skippered the first all-female international crew in the 1989 Whitbread Round the World Yacht Race. Tracy’s dream was opposed on all sides: her male competitors thought an all-women crew would never make it, the chauvinistic yachting press took bets on her failure, and potential sponsors rejected her, fearing they would die at sea and generate bad publicity, but Tracy refused to give up.
For more on the film, click here.
The screening was introduced by:
- Nora Bednarski, Member of the Cabinet of Commissioner for Equality
And was followed by a panel discussion with:
- Tracy Edwards, Maiden’s Skipper, MBE
- Martin Shearman, British Ambassador to Belgium
- Sietske Steneker, Director of the Brussels Office of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- Dagmar Schumacher, Director of the UN Women Brussels Office
- Moderated by Caroline Petit, Deputy Director of UNRIC