Peacekeeping has proven to be one of the most effective tools available to the UN to assist host countries navigate the difficult path from conflict to peace.
Peacekeeping has unique strengths, including legitimacy, burden sharing, and an ability to deploy and sustain troops and police from around the globe, integrating them with civilian peacekeepers to advance multidimensional mandates.
UN Peacekeepers provide security and the political and peacebuilding support to help countries make the difficult, early transition from conflict to peace.
UN Peacekeeping is guided by three basic principles: Consent of the parties; Impartiality; Non-use of force except in self-defence and defence of the mandate.
Peacekeeping is flexible and over the past two decades has been deployed in many configurations. There are currently 13 UN peacekeeping operations deployed on three continents.
What is peacekeeping?
- UN Peacekeeping: https://peacekeeping.un.org/en
- United Nations Peace Operations: https://www.unmissions.org/
- UN Department of Peace Operations (DPO): https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/department-of-peace-operations
- Peacekeeping Operations and the Role of the General Assembly: https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/role-of-general-assembly
- Peacekeeping Operations and the Role of the Security Council: https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/role-of-security-council
- United Nations Peacebuilding: https://www.un.org/peacebuilding/
(includes links to the Peacebuilding Commission, the Peacebuilding Fund and the Peacebuilding Support Office)
- UN Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA): https://dppa.un.org/en
- UN Special Political Missions: https://dppa.un.org/en/current-presences and https://dppa-ps.atavist.com/the-uns-special-political-missions
- Prevention and Mediation: https://dppa.un.org/en/prevention-and-mediation
- Change, and Continuity, in the Reform of the UN’s Peace and Security Work (DPA Politically Speaking, December 2018): https://dppa-ps.atavist.com/change-and-continuity-in-the-reform-of-the-uns-peace-and-security-work
- Global Issues on the UN Agenda – Peace and Security:
Research & Documentation
- United Nations Documentation – Research Guide on Peacekeeping: http://research.un.org/en/docs/peacekeeping
- Peacekeeping Resource Hub: http://research.un.org/en/peacekeeping-community
- Repertoire of the Practice of the Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/content/repertoire/thematic-items#P
- List of Newsletters, Journals & Bulletins issued by UN Peacekeeping Missions: https://staging.unric.org/en/info-point-library/newsletters-journals-bulletins/peacekeeping-political-missions/
- UN Peacemaker: http://peacemaker.un.org/
United Nations (UN) Peacemaker is an online mediation support tool developed by the Mediation Support Unit (MSU) in the Policy and Mediation Division of the UN Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA). Intended for peacemaking professionals, it includes an extensive database of peace agreements, guidance material and information on the UN’s mediation support services. UN Peacemaker is part of the UN’s overall effort to provide advice and support to the Secretary-General and his Representatives in their efforts to prevent, manage and resolve international disputes and internal conflicts. It is also intended to be useful to UN partners actively engaged in peacemaking efforts, including Member States, regional organisations, civil society, non-governmental organisations and national mediators.
- Ask DAG:
- What is the definition of “sustaining peace”? http://ask.un.org/faq/203718
- What is the origin of the blue helmets worn by UN peacekeepers? http://ask.un.org/faq/209615
- What has the UN done to address sexual exploitation and abuse in peacekeeping operations? http://ask.un.org/faq/194454
- I need detailed analysis of Security Council peacekeeping mandates. http://ask.un.org/faq/14537
- Where can I find more information about UN peacekeeping Rules of Engagement (ROE)? http://ask.un.org/faq/14531
- Does the United Nations have an army? http://ask.un.org/faq/177270
Facts & Figures
- United Nations Peacekeeping Operations – Fact Sheet (DPI/1634):
- Peacekeeping Statistics (Troop and police contributors):
- United Nations Peace Operations – Year in Review 2001 – 2012:
- Peacekeeping Brochure:
- Sustainable Development Goal 16 – Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies:
- International Day of UN Peacekeepers – 29 May:
- UN Women: Peace and Security:
not an official document – for information only